- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Decorating icing, nonpareils, red-hot candies or candies of your choice, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine the butter, sugar, molasses and vinegar; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; cool to lukewarm. Stir in egg. Combine the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon and salt; stir into molasses mixture to form a soft dough.
- Divide dough into thirds. Shape each portion into a disk; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-in. gingerbread boy cookie cutter. Place on greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 7-9 minutes or until edges are firm. Remove to wire racks; cool completely. Decorate as desired. Yield: 3-4 dozen.
Reviews for Gingerbread Boy Cookies
Sort By :
"These cookies turn out great; so great, my son suggested that I make a few more for our Christmas Party. I made the first bunch as Christmas presents and I can't wait to hear their response."
"Holly Cow! This is the best gingerbread boy recipe ever! I have been looking for this one a long time. I flooded them with royal icing to make snowmen. They are already all gone :("
"this is the best gingerbread cookie recipe I have ever made. So easy. I didn't have any trouble with cutting them out, the timing for cooking them was just right right. Can't wait to decorate and put them in my gift baskets."
"We made these last year and again this year because they were so good! Many gingerbread cookies are so spicy and hard, but these were soft and chewy with a nice amount of spice."
"simple and delicious!dough was easy to make and easy to handle even for smaller hands."