Field editor Traci K Wynne, Denver, Pennsylvania writes, "Traditional gingerbread is my father's favorite. But he says that this gingerbread-like cake featuring pumpkin really hits the spot, too. It's wonderful serve warm or cold."
Featured In: 23 Ways to Get Your Pumpkin Spice Fix
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1-1/4 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Whipped cream, optional
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add egg whites one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the pumpkin, corn syrup, molasses and orange peel until blended. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger and salt; add to pumpkin mixture, beating on low speed just until moistened.
- Pour mixture into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Serve warm with whipped cream if desired. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Pumpkin Spice Cake in Taste of Home October/November 2004, p4
Reviews for Ginger Pumpkin Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review