I think pears deserve to have a starring role in pies more often. To showcase that mellow fruit, I came up with a spiced filling and gooey nut streusel that becomes the topping. —Marcy Kamery, Blasdell, New York
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2/3 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup ice water
- NUT MIXTURE:
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 6 cups sliced peeled fresh pears
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Line bottom and sides of a greased 9-in. deep-dish pie plate with parchment paper; coat with cooking spray. For crust, in a large bowl, combine flours, salt and sugar. Cut in butter until crumbly. Add vinegar; gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide dough in half so that one portion is slightly larger than the other; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 15 minutes or until easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Combine nuts, brown sugar and butter. Spread in prepared pie plate.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out larger portion of dough to fit prepared pie plate. Place pastry over nut mixture. Trim pastry even with edge.
- Place filling ingredients in a large bowl; toss. Transfer to pie pastry. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry.
- Bake 60-70 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack 5 minutes.
- Carefully loosen the parchment paper around edge of pie; invert pie onto a serving plate. Remove and discard paper. Cool at least 15 minutes before serving. Serve warm. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Ginger-Pear Upside-Down Pie in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2013, p129
Reviews for Ginger-Pear Upside-Down Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review