At dinner with friends one evening, one of our hosts served some pears she had preserved with ginger and lemon. The flavor was so heavenly I decided to use the fresh pears she gave us to try my hand at a ginger and lemon freezer jam.—Jeni Pittard, Commerce, Georgia
Featured In: 19 Freezer Jam Recipes
- 5-1/2 cups finely chopped peeled fresh pears (about 10 medium)
- 1 package (1-3/4 ounces) pectin for lower sugar recipes
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Rinse seven 1-cup plastic containers and lids with boiling water. Dry thoroughly. In a Dutch oven, combine pears, pectin, lemon juice, lemon peel and ginger. Bring to a full rolling boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Stir in sugar. Boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in vanilla.
- Remove from heat; skim off foam. Immediately fill all containers to within 1/2 in. of tops. Wipe off top edges of containers; immediately cover with lids. Let stand at room temperature 24 hours.
- Jam is now ready to use. Refrigerate up to 3 weeks or freeze extra containers up to 12 months. Thaw frozen jam in refrigerator before serving. Yield: 7 cups.
Originally published as Ginger Pear Freezer Jam in Canning & Preserving 2014 Bookazine 2014, p61
Reviews for Ginger Pear Freezer Jam
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review