Ginger Pear Freezer Jam Recipe
At dinner with friends one evening, the lady of the house served us some pears she had preserved with ginger and lemon. The flavor was so heavenly I decided to use the fresh pears she gave us to try my hand at a ginger and lemon freezer jam.—Jeni Pittard, Commerce, Georgia
- 5-1/2 cups finely chopped peeled fresh pears (about 10 medium)
- 1 package (1-3/4 ounces) pectin for lower sugar recipes
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Rinse seven 1-cup plastic containers and lids with boiling water. Dry thoroughly. In a Dutch oven, combine pears, pectin, lemon juice, lemon peel and ginger. Bring to a full rolling boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Stir in sugar. Boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in vanilla.
- Remove from heat; skim off foam. Immediately fill all containers to within 1/2 in. of tops. Wipe off top edges of containers; immediately cover with lids. Let stand at room temperature 24 hours.
- Jam is now ready to use. Refrigerate up to 3 weeks or freeze extra containers up to 12 months. Thaw frozen jam in refrigerator before serving. Yield: 7 cups.
Originally published as Ginger Pear Freezer Jam in Canning & Preserving 2014 Bookazine 2014, p61
Reviews for Ginger Pear Freezer Jam
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review