Ginger-Pear Coffee Cake Recipe
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm buttermilk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 cups diced peeled fresh pears
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 to 4 teaspoons 2% milk
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the buttermilk, sugar, butter, salt and 1-1/2 cups flour. Beat just until moistened. Add egg; beat for 2 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes.
- 2. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. For filling, combine the first seven filling ingredients. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Roll into a 16-in. x 9-in. rectangle. Spread butter over dough. Sprinkle pear mixture to within 1/2 in. of edges. Sprinkle with sugar.
- 4. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with long side; pinch seams to seal. Place seam side down on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Pinch ends together to form a ring.
- 5. With scissors, cut from outside edge to two-thirds of the way toward center of ring at 1-in. intervals. Separate strips slightly; twist to allow filling to show. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 50 minutes. Brush dough with egg.
- 6. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- 7. For glaze, combine confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve drizzling consistency. Drizzle over ring. Yield: 14 servings.
1 piece: 243 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 222mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein Diabetic Exchanges:2 starch, 1 fruit, 1 fat
Reviews for Ginger-Pear Coffee Cake
"This is a fabulous recipe. I have used it again and again for various occasions. People will never believe it is low in fat."
"Bake it on a pan with an edge so if any juice runs out, it won't spill in the oven."
"Not made yet but 1 tablespoon cinnamon?? Surely not?"