- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm buttermilk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 cups diced peeled fresh pears
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 to 4 teaspoons 2% milk
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the buttermilk, sugar, butter, salt and 1-1/2 cups flour. Beat just until moistened. Add egg; beat for 2 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes.
- Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- For filling, combine the first seven filling ingredients. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Roll into a 16-in. x 9-in. rectangle. Spread butter over dough. Sprinkle pear mixture to within 1/2 in. of edges. Sprinkle with sugar.
- Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with long side; pinch seams to seal. Place seam side down on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Pinch ends together to form a ring.
- With scissors, cut from outside edge to two-thirds of the way toward center of ring at 1-in. intervals. Separate strips slightly; twist to allow filling to show. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 50 minutes. Brush dough with egg.
- Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- For glaze, combine confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve drizzling consistency. Drizzle over ring. Yield: 14 servings.
Originally published as Ginger-Pear Coffee Cake in Light & Tasty December/January 2004, p52
Reviews for Ginger-Pear Coffee Cake(2)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review