Ginger Mushroom Chicken Recipe
- 1 cup fresh snow peas
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1/2 pound sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 cups hot cooked brown rice
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1. Place snow peas in a small saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil; boil for 1 minute. Drain and set aside. In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch, salt, pepper and milk until smooth; set aside.
- 2. In a large nonstick skillet or wok coated with cooking spray, stir-fry chicken in 1 teaspoon hot oil for 5 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm.
- 3. In the same pan, stir-fry mushrooms and ginger in remaining oil for 2 minutes. Add peas; stir-fry 2 minutes longer.
- 4. Stir cornstarch mixture and add to the pan. Return chicken to pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with rice. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 4 servings.
3/4 cup chicken mixture with 1/2 cup rice equals 297 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 53 mg cholesterol, 369 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 24 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.