For fun, I give my friends this recipe along with a do-it-yourself muffin kit. It includes oven-ready batter in a decorative jar and a few finished muffins to nibble as a sample.
30 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup molasses
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and molasses; mix well. Combine dry ingredients; add to
- creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating just until
- blended. Fill greased muffin cups half full.
- Bake at 350° for 16-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in
- the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to
- wire racks to cool completely. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 140 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 147 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.