Ginger Leaf Cutouts Recipe
My father enjoyed these cookies with apple cider when he returned home from hunting on Thanksgiving morning. I like to decorate them with colored sugar.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 1-1/4 hours + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling YIELD:60 servings
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Beat in molasses and vinegar. Combine the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- 2. Divide dough into fourths. Wrap each portion in plastic wrap; refrigerate for 4 hours or until easy to handle.
- 3. On a lightly floured surface, roll out one portion of dough at a time to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with floured 3-in. leaf-shaped cookie cutters. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. With a sharp knife, score veins in leaves.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 6-8 minutes or until edges are firm and lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 5 dozen.
1 cookie equals 96 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 55 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC