Ginger Drop Cookies
"My mother shared the recipe for these soft spice cookies," says Willow River, Minnesota field editor Bethel Walters.
33 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup molasses
- 2 eggs
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar until light and
- fluffy. Beat in molasses and eggs. Combine the dry ingredients; add
- to the creamed mixture alternately with water. Refrigerate for at
- least 8 hours.
- Drop dough by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove
- to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 5-1/2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 165 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 158 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.