"Fresh doughnuts for breakfast don't get easier than this," says Tiffany Anderson-Taylor of Gulfport, Florida. "I made the glaze that night before and keep it in my refrigerator."
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Additional oil for deep-fat frying
- LEMON GLAZE:
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- In a large bowl, beat eggs until light and lemon-colored. Beat in the brown sugar, sour cream, oil and molasses. Combine the flour, ginger, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg; beat into egg mixture just until moistened.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10 times. Divide dough into 18 pieces. Roll each piece into a 12-in. rope. Fold in half and twist several times. Pinch ends to seal.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry twists, a few at a time, for 1 minute on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk glaze ingredients until blended. Dip warm twists in glaze to coat. Let stand until set. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Ginger Doughnut Twist in Quick Cooking November/December 2004, p37
Reviews for Ginger Doughnut Twist
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review