Ginger Currant Scones Recipe
Sheila Parker of Reno, Nevada adds loads of currants to her flaky, attractive scones. Served warm with a drizzle of honey, these gingery treats are a welcome addition to breakfast, brunch or afternoon tea.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. YIELD:4 servings
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup dried currants
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add buttermilk just until moistened. Stir in currants and ginger. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10 times.
- 2. Pat or roll out to 1-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place 2 in. apart on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- 3. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Drizzle with honey. Serve warm. Yield: 4 scones.
1 scone equals 485 calories, 18 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 46 mg cholesterol, 414 mg sodium, 77 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC