Ginger Creme Sandwich Cookies Recipe
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and molasses. Combine the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 2. Shape into 1-in. balls; roll in sugar. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Flatten with a fork, forming a crisscross pattern. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until set (do not overbake). Remove to wire racks to cool.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine filling ingredients until smooth. Spread over the bottoms of half of the cookies; top with remaining cookies. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
1 each: 184 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 152mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (18g sugars, trace fiber), 1g protein
Reviews for Ginger Creme Sandwich Cookies
"Good but not spectacular enough to make again. I love to WOW my guests with popping flavors."