Ginger Creme Sandwich Cookies Recipe
With a lemony filling, these spiced cookies go over big because they have old-fashioned, comfort-food appeal. Your party guests will snatch them up!—Carol Walston, Granbury, Texas
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and molasses. Combine the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 2. Shape into 1-in. balls; roll in sugar. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Flatten with a fork, forming a crisscross pattern. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until set (do not overbake). Remove to wire racks to cool.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine filling ingredients until smooth. Spread over the bottoms of half of the cookies; top with remaining cookies. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
1 cookie equals 184 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 152 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC