With a lemony filling, these spiced cookies go over big because they have old-fashioned, comfort-food appeal. Your party guests will snatch them up!—Carol Walston, Granbury, Texas
Recommended: 15 Best Gingerbread Men Cookies
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cream shortening and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and molasses. In another bowl, whisk flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Shape dough into 1-in. balls; roll in granulated sugar. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Flatten with a fork, forming a crisscross pattern. Bake until set (do not overbake), 8-10 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Meanwhile, combine filling ingredients until smooth. Spread over bottoms of half of the cookies; cover with remaining cookies. Refrigerate. Yield: about 2-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Ginger Creme Sandwich Cookies in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2008, p109
Reviews forGinger Creme Sandwich Cookies
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 6, 2012
"Good but not spectacular enough to make again. I love to WOW my guests with popping flavors."