- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 cup hot coffee
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Chopped nuts, optional
- In a medium bowl, cream sugar and butter. Sift together flour, salt, soda and spices; add to creamed mixture. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition, and molasses. Blend in coffee. Spread in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes. Cool. For frosting, cream butter and cream cheese; add sugar and vanilla. Spread over bars. Top with nuts if desired. Yield: 5-6 dozen.
Originally published as Ginger-Cream Bars in Grandma's Great Desserts Cookbook 1992, p58
Reviews for Ginger-Cream Bars(2)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Nov. 23, 2010
These are a wonderful fall spice bar...nice flavor and a light complimentary frosting.
Reviewed Aug. 15, 2008
These are delicious--however, next time I would use a pan with higher sides, as the batter ran over the sides of my jelly-roll pan.