Ginger-Cranberry Chutney Spread Recipe
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 package (12 ounces) cranberries
- 1 large tart apple, peeled and diced
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup thawed unsweetened apple juice concentrate
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 packages (8 ounces each) reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1. In a saucepan, heat water and ginger until the water is evaporated. Stir in the cranberries, apple, sugar, apple juice concentrate, raisins, lemon juice, orange peel and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 25 minutes or until thickened. Cool.
- 2. Cover and store in the refrigerator. Serve 1 cup of chutney over each package of cream cheese. Spread on crackers. Yield: 24 servings.
One serving (2 tablespoons chutney and 1 ounce of cream cheese with 4 crackers) equals 178 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 17 mg cholesterol, 215 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat, 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 fruit.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.