Ginger Cranberry Bars
“These beautiful bars were among the winners of a cranberry festival bake-off,” notes Lynn Newman of Gainesville, Florida. “They're tangy, crunchy and subtly sweet.”
24 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons almond extract, divided
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped crystallized ginger
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Stir
- in 1-1/2 teaspoons almond extract. Beat in flour until crumbly.
- Press into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for
- 25-28 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat cranberry sauce and ginger. In a
- small bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form.
- Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, and
- remaining extract on high until stiff glossy peaks form. Spread
- cranberry mixture over crust. Spread meringue over cranberry layer;
- sprinkle with almonds.
- Increase heat to 400°. Bake for 14-15 minutes or until lightly
- browned. Cool completely before cutting. Refrigerate leftovers.
- Yield: 2 dozen.