- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons almond extract, divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped crystallized ginger
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in 1-1/2 teaspoons almond extract. Beat in flour until crumbly.
- Press into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 25-28 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat cranberry sauce and ginger. In a small bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, and remaining extract on high until stiff glossy peaks form. Spread cranberry mixture over crust. Spread meringue over cranberry layer; sprinkle with almonds.
- Increase heat to 400°. Bake for 14-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely before cutting. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Ginger Cranberry Bars in Country Woman October/November 2007, p26
Reviews for Ginger Cranberry Bars
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 14, 2011
"I would have given this 5 stars except for the meringue. It did not taste well on the 2nd day. I think it was excellent through the cranberry topping. next time I would end it here and serve with whipped cream and almonds."