- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Almond Extract, divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped crystallized ginger
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in 1-1/2 teaspoons almond extract. Beat in flour until crumbly.
- Press into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 25-28 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat cranberry sauce and ginger. In a small bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, and remaining extract on high until stiff glossy peaks form. Spread cranberry mixture over crust. Spread meringue over cranberry layer; sprinkle with almonds.
- Increase heat to 400°. Bake for 14-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely before cutting. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Ginger Cranberry Bars in Country Woman October/November 2007, p26
Reviews for Ginger Cranberry Bars
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Nov. 14, 2011
"I would have given this 5 stars except for the meringue. It did not taste well on the 2nd day. I think it was excellent through the cranberry topping. next time I would end it here and serve with whipped cream and almonds."