Granddaughter Sarah first helped me stir up a batch when she was just 4. The best part for me is seeing the pride on her face when she serves these treats to her mom and dad and the rest of our family.Sarah Wick, Medford, Oregon
18 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Additional sugar, optional
- In a bowl, cream the shortening and sugar. Add molasses and mix
- well. Combine egg and water; add to molasses mixture and mix well.
- Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and salt; add to
- molasses mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for at least
- 20 minutes. Shape into 1-in. balls. Place on ungreased baking
- sheets and flatten with a fork. Sprinkle with additional sugar if
- desired. Bake at 350° for 9-11 minutes or until set. Cool for
- 5 minutes; remove to wire racks. Yield: 3 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 184 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 12 mg cholesterol, 143 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.