Ginger Chocolate Temptation
Chocolate-covered candied ginger is one of my favorite treats, so I knew this recipe was for me! Every bite of this cool, creamy custard is rich, smooth and decadent.—Elise Lalor, Issaquah, Washington
12 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 15 min. + chilling
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 vanilla bean
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 6 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup minced crystallized ginger, divided
- Heavy whipping cream, whipped, optional
- Place cream in a small heavy saucepan. Split vanilla bean and scrape
- seeds into cream. Add bean. Bring cream mixture to a boil. Reduce
- heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Discard vanilla bean.
- Stir in chocolate until melted. Stir 1/2 cup chocolate mixture into
- egg yolks; return all to the pan. Cook and stir until mixture
- reaches 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon. Remove from
- the heat. Stir in 2 tablespoons ginger.
- Pour into 12 demitasse or espresso cups. Refrigerate for at least 1
- hour. Just before serving, garnish with remaining ginger and whipped
- cream if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (calculated without whipped cream) equals 274 calories, 25 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 157 mg cholesterol, 22 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.