Ginger Chicken Recipe
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons peanut oil, divided
- 1 medium green pepper, julienned
- 3 green onions, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 1/2 cup canned bamboo shoots, finely chopped
- 2 to 3 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the egg white, soy sauce, cornstarch and pepper. Add chicken; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. For sauce, combine the cornstarch, vinegar, soy sauce and sugar until smooth; set aside.
- 2. Drain chicken and discard marinade. In a large skillet or wok, stir-fry chicken in 1 tablespoon oil until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm.
- 3. Stir-fry green pepper and onions in remaining oil for 2 minutes. Add bamboo shoots and ginger; stir-fry 3-4 minutes longer or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- 4. Stir sauce mixture and add to the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add chicken and heat through. Sprinkle with almonds. Serve with rice if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
1 cup stir-fry (calculated without rice) equals 248 calories, 12 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 63 mg cholesterol, 748 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 28 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 fat, 1/2 starch.
Reviews for Ginger Chicken
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.