“Ginger adds extra zing to this bright orange side dish,” relates Joyce Guth of Mohnton, Pennsylvania. “It goes especially well with a ham dinner.”
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 3 cups sliced carrots
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Place carrots and 1 in. of water in a small saucepan; bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until
- crisp-tender. Drain and keep warm.
- In the same pan, combine the cornstarch, sugar, salt and ginger. Stir
- in orange juice until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1
- minute or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in butter
- until melted. Add carrots and toss to coat. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup equals 99 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 355 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 fruit, 1/2 fat.