Ginger Butternut Squash Bisque Recipe
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 3 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) vegetable broth
- 1 can (13.66 ounces) coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups hot cooked brown rice
- 1/4 cup flaked coconut, toasted
- 1/4 cup salted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 400°. Cut squash lengthwise in half; remove and discard seeds. Place squash in a greased shallow roasting pan, cut side down. Roast 40-45 minutes or until squash is tender. Cool slightly.
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add carrots and onion; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic, ginger and curry powder; cook and stir 1 minute longer. Add broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10-12 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- Scoop pulp from squash; discard skins. Add squash, coconut milk, salt and pepper to carrot mixture; bring just to a boil, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; cool slightly. Process in batches in a blender until smooth.
- Return to pan; heat through. Top servings with rice, coconut, peanuts and cilantro. Yield: 6 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for Ginger Butternut Squash Bisque
Sort By :
I left off the flaked coconut (husband has a texture issue with it), the peanuts, and the cilantro (not a cilantro fan). I added brown rice to our servings the first time but we didn't like it much like that. As a side soup it's fantastic, has a great flavor, but my husband and I agreed that as a main meal it's not ideal. Very tasty, though!
I think this soup was fantastic with and without the toppings. I added a second can of vegetable broth, it was a little too thick for me without it. I will be sharing this with my friends.
This was delicious! I made it without the toppings, but I added cooked, sweet Italian sausage to the bisque. My husband's description: "fantastic!"
I was worried about this through the whole process - which was time consuming - but it all turned out really good in the end!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Bisque Soup Recipes >
- Butternut Squash Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Halloween Party Recipes >
- Halloween Recipes >
- Indian Recipes >
- Nut Recipes >
- Peanut Recipes >
- Rice Recipes >
- Soup Recipes >
- Squash Recipes >
- Squash Soup >
- Squash Soup Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Carrot Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Nut Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Rice Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Soup Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Squash Recipes >