Ginger Butternut Squash Bisque Recipe
This soup is filling enough for my husband, and it’s vegetarian, which I love. The couple who introduced us made it for us on a freezing night and we’ve been hooked ever since. —Cara McDonald, Winter Park, Colorado
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling YIELD:6 servings
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 3 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) vegetable broth
- 1 can (13.66 ounces) coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups hot cooked brown rice
- 1/4 cup flaked coconut, toasted
- 1/4 cup salted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. Cut squash lengthwise in half; remove and discard seeds. Place squash in a greased shallow roasting pan, cut side down. Roast 40-45 minutes or until squash is tender. Cool slightly.
- 2. In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add carrots and onion; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic, ginger and curry powder; cook and stir 1 minute longer. Add broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10-12 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- 3. Scoop pulp from squash; discard skins. Add squash, coconut milk, salt and pepper to carrot mixture; bring just to a boil, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; cool slightly. Process in batches in a blender until smooth.
- 4. Return to pan; heat through. Top servings with rice, coconut, peanuts and cilantro. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup equals 386 calories, 21 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 749 mg sodium, 48 g carbohydrate, 10 g fiber, 7 g protein.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC