- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Coarse sugar, optional
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a large bowl, whisk the first seven ingredients. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in crystallized ginger. Add buttermilk; stir just until moistened.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently 8-10 times. Pat or roll dough to 1/2-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-in. biscuit cutter. Place 1 in. apart on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Brush tops with butter. If desired, sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake 7-8 minutes or until bottoms are golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 20 biscuits.
Originally published as Ginger Buttermilk Biscuits in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2014
Reviews for Ginger Buttermilk Biscuits
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review