The puffy golden batter and hint of spices in this recipe makes the moist chicken irresistible. Folks who sample this can't believe it's so simple to prepare.
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 cup water
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- GINGER BATTER:
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- Place chicken pieces in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with salt and rosemary; add water. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour.
- Remove chicken to paper towels. Cool 10 minutes; remove skin and pat dry. In a deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 350°.
- For batter, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and ginger. Add the egg, milk and oil; beat until smooth. Dip chicken, one piece at a time, in batter. Fry chicken in hot oil for 3-5 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and keep warm. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Ginger Batter Chicken in Country Chicken Cookbook 1995, p33
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Ginger Batter Chicken
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review