- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs; beat well. Beat in water and molasses. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, ginger and salt; add to molasses mixture and mix well.
- Spread into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Dust with confectioners' sugar if desired. Cut into bars. Yield: 20 servings.
Reviews for Ginger Bars
"This recipe is not for bars; this is a cake. Basically gingerbread, but with flavorless shortening and lacking in spices."
"My husband enjoys these bars. They impart a wonderful aroma as they bake. I sometimes drizzle them with a lemon or vanilla glaze,"
"I have made these several times and they always come out great! Very tasty and easy to make."