- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs; beat well. Beat in water and molasses. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, ginger and salt; add to molasses mixture and mix well.
- Spread into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Dust with confectioners' sugar if desired. Cut into bars. Yield: 20 servings.
Reviews for Ginger Bars
Sort By :
"I followed the recipe to the letter but it was more like cake and it was so bland to the taste. The smell baking it was wonderful but I was disappointed with the end result."
"My husband enjoys these bars. They impart a wonderful aroma as they bake. I sometimes drizzle them with a lemon or vanilla glaze,"
"I make these for my husband several times a month and he loves them. So moist and easy to make! I add instant coffee to the water which deepens the flavor and have also added chocolate chips. SO good!"
"I have made these several times and they always come out great! Very tasty and easy to make."