Ginger Bars Recipe
We always had dessert when we visited my grandparents' farm, and this was one of our favorites. During harvesttime, my brothers and sisters and I would take this or another dessert out to the field for the workers.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling YIELD:16-20 servings
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs; beat well. Beat in water and molasses. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, ginger and salt; add to molasses mixture and mix well.
- 2. Spread into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Dust with confectioners' sugar if desired. Cut into bars. Yield: 20 servings.
1 bar equals 213 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 21 mg cholesterol, 132 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC