We always had dessert when we visited my grandparents' farm, and this was one of our favorites. During harvesttime, my brothers and sisters and I would take this or another dessert out to the field for the workers.
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs; beat well. Beat in water and molasses. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, ginger and salt; add to molasses mixture and mix well.
- Spread into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Dust with confectioners' sugar if desired. Cut into bars. Yield: 20 servings.
Originally published as Ginger Bars in Country February/March 1997, p51
Reviews for Ginger Bars
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review