Gift-Wrapped Chocolate Cake Recipe
Family and friends will be impressed when you present this rich, glazed cake from our Test Kitchen.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling YIELD:10-12 servings
- 2 teaspoons plus 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs, separated
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Chocolate Bow
- 1. Line the bottom of a 9-in. springform pan with foil; grease foil and sides of pan with 2 teaspoons butter; set aside. Melt remaining butter. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each. Beat in the water, oil and vanilla; mix well. Combine flour and cocoa; gradually add to egg mixture. Stir in pecans.
- 2. In another large bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until foamy. Add cream of tartar and salt; beat on high until stiff peaks form. Fold into chocolate mixture.
- 3. Pour into prepared pan. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until top begins to crack slightly and a toothpick comes out with moist crumbs. Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully run a knife around the edge of the pan to loosen; cool 1 hour longer. Refrigerate over night.
- 4. To assemble, invert cake onto a waxed paper-lined baking sheet. Remove foil; set aside. In a heavy saucepan, heat chocolate and cream over very low heat until chocolate is melted (do not boil); stir until smooth, Remove from the heat. Cool if necessary until mixture reaches spreading consistency.
- 5. Slowly pour over cake, smoothing sides with a metal spatula to evenly coat. Chill until set. Carefully transfer cake to a flat serving plate. Top with Chocolate Bow. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 10-12 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 380 calories, 27 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 99 mg cholesterol, 167 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC