- 6 cups white vinegar
- 3-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 cups water
- 4-1/2 teaspoons canning salt
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon fennel seed
- 2 small heads cauliflower, broken into small florets (about 12 cups)
- 4 large carrots, sliced
- 4 celery ribs, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 48 pearl onions, peeled and trimmed (about 1-1/4 pounds)
- 4 large sweet red peppers, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 4 serrano peppers, seeds removed and thinly sliced
- 10 bay leaves
- 20 whole peppercorns
- 10 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- In a large stockpot, combine vinegar, sugar, water, canning salt, oregano and fennel seed. Bring to a boil. Add cauliflower, carrots, celery, and onions; return to a boil. Remove from heat; add peppers.
- Carefully ladle hot mixture into 10 hot 1-pint jars, leaving 1/2- in. headspace. Add a bay leaf, 2 peppercorns and a few slices of garlic to each jar. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 10 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Yield: 10 pints.
Originally published as Giardiniera in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2013, p63
Reviews for Giardiniera
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review