I like to keep a baked batch of these extra-large sweet rolls in the freezer to surprise my family on weekends. To reheat, thaw in the refrigerator overnight, wrap in foil and bake at 350° for 20 to 30 minutes or until heated through.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1-3/4 cups sugar, divided
- 2/3 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup butter, softened, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 4-3/4 to 5-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- BROWN SUGAR-NUT SYRUP:
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup pecan halves
- EGG WASH:
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon water
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add 3/4 cup sugar, milk, 1/2 cup butter, salt, egg, egg yolk and 3 cups flour. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto lightly floured surface. Roll into a 24-in. x 18-in. rectangle. Melt remaining butter; brush over dough. Combine cinnamon and remaining sugar; sprinkle to within 1/2 in. of edges. Sprinkle with pecans. Roll up, jelly-roll style, starting with a short side; pinch seam to seal. Cut into six slices.
- For syrup, combine brown sugar, butter and water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 1 minute. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking. Arrange pecan halves, flat side up, over syrup. Place rolls, cut side down, over pecans. Press down gently. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Beat egg white and water; brush over rolls. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately invert onto a serving platter. Yield: 6 rolls.
Originally published as Giant Upside-Down Pecan Rolls in Best of Country Breads 2000, p76
Reviews for Giant Upside-Down Pecan Rolls
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 12, 2010
"This is AMAZING! I have made it every year for Easter morning and there is never any left."