Giant Snowball Cake Recipe
Just like the frosty version would, this snowball is sure to disappear fast at warm-weather gatherings! Tangy citrus is the delightful surprise when you taste the coconut-topped confection from Betty Friesen of Lake Oswego, Oregon. "My family's enjoyed the refreshing dessert at Christmas for nearly 50 years," she writes. "But it would be wonderful any time.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + chilling YIELD:16 servings
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup lemon or lime juice
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1 angel food cake (12 ounces), cut into cubes (10 cups)
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1. In a bowl, sprinkle gelatin over cold water; let stand for 1 minute. Add boiling water; stir until gelatin is dissolved. Add sugar and juices; stir until sugar is dissolved. Refrigerate until partially thickened, about 2 hours.
- 2. Beat 1 cup cream until stiff peaks form; fold into gelatin mixture. Line a 4-qt. round bowl with plastic wrap. Spoon about 1 cup whipped cream mixture into bowl. Alternate layers of cake and whipped cream mixture until bowl is filled, ending with cream mixture. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- 3. Unmold onto a serving plate. Whip remaining cream; frost cake. Sprinkle with coconut. Yield: 16 servings.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC