Giant Sandwich Recipe
This lovely layered loaf from Mildred Sherrer of Bay City, Texas is definitely not your everyday sandwich. Piled high with a variety of fillings, the wedges are great for a special occasion when served warm from the oven.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min. YIELD:6-8 servings
- 1 unsliced round loaf (1-1/2 pounds) rye bread
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1/4 pound sliced deli roast beef
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 4 to 6 slices Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1/4 pound sliced deli ham
- 6 bacon strips, cooked
- 6 slices process American cheese
- 1 medium tomato, thinly sliced
- 4 slices red onion, separated into rings
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1. Cut bread horizontally into six slices. Spread bottom slice with horseradish; top with roast beef. Place the next slice of bread over beef; spread with mayonnaise and top with Swiss cheese. Add next slice of bread; spread with mustard and top with ham. Add the next slice of bread; top with bacon and American cheese. Add next slice of bread; top with tomato and onion.
- 2. Spread butter on cut side of bread top; cover sandwich. Place on a baking sheet; loosely tent with heavy-duty foil. Bake at 400° for 12-14 minutes or until heated through. Carefully slice into wedges. Yield: 6-8 servings.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC