VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients. Pat into a 9-in. circle on a large sheet of waxed paper. Invert onto a greased wire grill basket; peel off waxed paper.
- Grill, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 10-13 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 160° and meat juices run clear. Cut into six wedges. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Giant Mushroom Burger in Quick Cooking July/August 2001, p61