- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 3/4 cup coarse sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and molasses. Combine the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Fold in pecans.
- Shape into 2-in. balls and roll in coarse sugar. Place 2-1/2-in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 13-15 minutes or until tops are cracked. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews for Giant Molasses Cookies
Sort By :
"Good taste, but I was expecting the cookies to be the color of the molasses but they were more like the color of ginger. I don't know what I did wrong, but they just didn't look right to me."
"Easy to make. After reading comments about sticky dough and spreading, I made a double batch and added one extra egg and an extra 1/2 c flour (roughly 1/2 cup, just till it is very thick and beginning to lose stickiness). I refrigerated the dough overnight which helps keep the cookie from spreading. My dough was very stiff after refrigerating. My end result was perfect. I baked the till the bottoms started to show brown. They were crispy on the outside and chewy inside. They freeze well. This recipe is a keeper!"
"Very flavorful. My complaint is that the dough is so sticky. I had a very hard time shaping balls. I added at least 1/2 cup more flour, too. I will chill the dough overnight the next time. I made the cookies a little smaller. First tray I baked at recommended temperature and cookies were too hard. More chewy if baking time is cut back. Will make again."
"The taste is wonderful. My cookies came out flat (not thick, like in the photo). Does anyone have any suggestions? (Obviously, it's me, because most of the other reviews said their cookies looked just like the photo.)"
"these are awesome, will definitely make again,"