Giant Meatball Sub Recipe
As either a hearty party sandwich or a filling lunch or dinner, this sub will rise to the top of your list of favorites. It's also a perfect contribution to a potluck...but don't expect to have any leftovers!
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1-1/4 pounds bulk Italian sausage
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 2 jars (26 ounces each) spaghetti sauce
- 1 loaf (1 pound) unsliced French bread, halved lengthwise
- 8 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk, onion, garlic, bread crumbs, salt and Italian seasoning. Crumble sausage and beef over mixture; mix well.
- 2. Shape into 1-in. balls. Place meatballs on a greased rack in a shallow baking pan. Bake at 425° for 15 minutes or until browned; drain.
- 3. In a Dutch oven, heat the spaghetti sauce over medium heat. Add meatballs; simmer for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, bake bread at 325° for 10 minutes or until heated through.
- 4. Place mozzarella cheese on bottom half of bread; spoon meatballs onto cheese. Replace top. Slice sandwich into serving-size portions; serve with extra spaghetti sauce and Parmesan cheese if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 686 calories, 40 g fat (16 g saturated fat), 161 mg cholesterol, 1,649 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 34 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC