- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1-1/4 pounds bulk Italian sausage
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 2 jars (26 ounces each) spaghetti sauce
- 1 loaf (1 pound) unsliced French bread, halved lengthwise
- 8 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk, onion, garlic, bread crumbs, salt and Italian seasoning. Crumble sausage and beef over mixture; mix well.
- Shape into 1-in. balls. Place meatballs on a greased rack in a shallow baking pan. Bake at 425° for 15 minutes or until browned; drain.
- In a Dutch oven, heat the spaghetti sauce over medium heat. Add meatballs; simmer for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, bake bread at 325° for 10 minutes or until heated through.
- Place mozzarella cheese on bottom half of bread; spoon meatballs onto cheese. Replace top. Slice sandwich into serving-size portions; serve with extra spaghetti sauce and, if desired, Parmesan cheese. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Giant Meatball Sub in Country Woman May/June 2002, p33
Reviews for Giant Meatball Sub
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review