- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 4 teaspoons coarse sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs. Beat in lemon peel and juice. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, salt and cream of tartar; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Shape 1/4 cupfuls of dough into balls. Place 6 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Flatten to 3/4-in. thickness with bottom of a measuring cup. Lightly brush tops with water; sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake 12-15 minutes or until light brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Store in airtight containers. Yield: 14 cookies.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Giant Lemon Sugar Cookies
Sort By :
"Made these for my daughter who loves lemon. She really loved them!"
"I made a batch of these cookies this morning & they are very good, look like giant bakery cookies with their pretty sugar-crackled tops! In addition to the lemon juice and grated peel, I added a tablespoon of lemon extract to enhance the taste (my family loves lemon). Using a level 1/4 cup batter, the recipe made 19 large cookies. I did not brush the tops with water, just gently dredged the cookies in regular sugar and baked them. This recipe is a keeper!"
"Thank you Tmama71, Good cookie recipe. Please note: The individual lemon imparts the flavor and some lemons just are not that lemony , neither the juice nor the zest. Taste a drop before adding if it is not vey sour add more juice or get another lemon. You want a Eureka lemon not a Meyer. Also be sure the lemon is ripe the ones on stores generally are not. Hope this helps."
"If you are looking for a lemony cookie, this isn't it. Even though the description says it has a "light" lemon flavor, that's an exaggeration."
"looks delish...about the lemon flavour...what about adding some lemon extract to enhance the flavour"