- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 4 teaspoons coarse sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs. Beat in lemon peel and juice. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, salt and cream of tartar; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Shape 1/4 cupfuls of dough into balls. Place 6 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Flatten to 3/4-in. thickness with bottom of a measuring cup. Lightly brush tops with water; sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake 12-15 minutes or until light brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Store in airtight containers. Yield: 14 cookies.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Giant Lemon Sugar Cookies
"This cookie is just delicious! I have made it several times and it turns out perfect...soft, chewy, light and lemony. You will not regret making these again and again."
"Great recipe! I took a little advice off of the other reviews and added 1 tablespoon of lemon extract for more lemon flavor. I, too, made smaller cookies to stretch the recipe further and to share with others. Thanks for submitting this recipe. It's a keeper!"
"Couldn't taste the lemon at all and they turned out too crunchy. Will not be making these again."
"Made these for my daughter who loves lemon. She really loved them!"
"I made a batch of these cookies this morning & they are very good, look like giant bakery cookies with their pretty sugar-crackled tops! In addition to the lemon juice and grated peel, I added a tablespoon of lemon extract to enhance the taste (my family loves lemon). Using a level 1/4 cup batter, the recipe made 19 large cookies. I did not brush the tops with water, just sprnkled the cookies in course sugar (regular sugar works, too) and baked them. This recipe is a keeper!"