- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 4 teaspoons coarse sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs. Beat in lemon peel and juice. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, salt and cream of tartar; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Shape 1/4 cupfuls of dough into balls. Place 6 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Flatten to 3/4-in. thickness with bottom of a measuring cup. Lightly brush tops with water; sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake 12-15 minutes or until light brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Store in airtight containers. Yield: 14 cookies.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Giant Lemon Sugar Cookies
Sort By :
These were delicious! I love lemon and thought maybe they needed extract for that lemon flavor but it came through really well here. I didn't have coarse sugar so I sprinkled with flaked coconut.
I made these smaller than the recipe called for and they were still plenty big. It is very humid here and the bottom cookies stuck together on the bottom of the cookie jar, so next time I'll use some wax paper to separate them. A definite keeper!
I made these, but they didn't have much of a lemon flavor. They were just good sugar cookies. Next time I will add maybe one more tbsp. of lemon juice and a little more lemon zest. I also made them in smaller batches.
these are delicious! I made them a little smaller than what the recipes says and I got over 2 doz. out of the recipe! Everyone that tried them really liked them!
These cookies have a very nice flavor. They're soft on the inside and crunchy on the outside. I made regular-sized cookies (about 4 dozen) and baked each batch for 9 minutes. I also used 1/2 C butter and 1/2 C Crisco instead of 1 C butter.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Cookie Recipes >
- Cookies >
- Desserts >
- Easter Desserts >
- Easter Recipes >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Lemon Cookies >
- Mother's Day Dessert Recipes >
- Mother's Day Recipes >
- Potluck Desserts >
- Potluck Recipes >
- Sugar Cookie Recipes >