"I tried this refreshing salad at a friend's house and couldn't wait to have the recipe," says Rebecca Cook Jones, a field editor from Henderson, Nevada. "it makes a beautiful presentation for winter holidays, too."
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups walnut halves
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 bunches romaine, torn
- 16 cups torn leaf lettuce
- 6 cups dried cranberries
- 4 medium sweet yellow peppers, diced
- 4 cups (16 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- Coarsely ground pepper, optional
- 4 envelopes Italian salad dressing mix
- 2 cups canola oil
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 cup water
- In a large heavy skillet, melt the butter. Add walnuts; cook over medium heat until toasted, about 4 minutes. Sprinkle with sugar; cook and stir for 2-4 minutes or until sugar is melted. Spread on foil to cool.
- Meanwhile, in several large salad bowls, combine the romaine, lettuce, cranberries, yellow peppers, cheese and pepper if desired. In a large bowl, whisk the dressing ingredients. Pour over salad and toss to coat. Sprinkle with sugared walnuts. Yield: 85 servings.
Originally published as Giant Green Salad in Taste of Home June/July 2005, p8
Reviews for Giant Green Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 3, 2008
"Great salad. You can more of less of the salad ingredients to your liking."