- 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2-1/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- SANDWICH FILLING:
- 6 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 6 to 8 lettuce leaves
- 12 to 16 thin slices fully cooked ham
- 6 to 8 thin slices Swiss or cheddar cheese
- 4 slices red onion, separated into rings
- 1 medium green pepper, sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, oats, yeast and salt. In a saucepan, heat the water, molasses and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Place in a greased bowl; turn once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Press dough onto a greased 14-in. pizza pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Brush with egg. Sprinkle with the onion, sesame seeds and garlic salt. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack to cool.
- Split the focaccia in half horizontally; spread mayonnaise and mustard on cut sides. On bottom half, layer the lettuce, ham, cheese, onion, green pepper and tomatoes. Replace bread half. Chill until serving. Cut into wedges. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Giant Focaccia Sandwich
Sort By :
"A delicious sandwich. The bread doesn't have to be kneaded, which is a time-saver, and the sweetness the molasses gives it tastes so good with all the things it's filled with. Everyone loved it!"
"A super good huge sandwich! Have made it several times and have had many requests for the recipe. I like to use dill or basil or oregano on top."
"I did not care for this bread at all."
"I took it to the teacher's lounge at school and it was gone in minutes with many requests for the recipe."