Giant Empanadas Recipe
Serve these south-of-the-border meat pies whenever your family has worked up an especially hearty appetite. You'll see satisfied smiles all around the table just as I do!—Dianne Stonewall, Danville, Illinois
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 35 min. Bake: 20 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 unbaked pastry shells (9 inches)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
- Sour cream, chopped fresh tomatoes and/or shredded cheese and lettuce for garnish, optional
- 1. In a skillet, cook beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in tomatoes and seasonings. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Place pastry shells on a baking sheet. Divide filling; spoon half of filling on one half of each pastry, spreading to within 1 in. of edges. Fold other half of pastry over filling and press edges to seal. Beat egg yolk with water; brush over pastries.
- 3. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until golden. Cut into wedges to serve. Garnish with sour cream, tomatoes, cheese and/or lettuce if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC