These colossal cookies taste best when golden around the edges and moist and chewy in the center. With a glass of milk, they're polished off in no time by my grandchildren. -Irene McDade, Cumberland, Rhode Island
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons apple pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups dried cherries, chopped
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- In a large bowl, cream shortening, butter and sugars. Beat in the eggs and vanilla. Combine the oats, flour, apple pie spice, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Stir in cherries and orange peel.
- Drop by 1/3 cupfuls onto an ungreased baking sheet. Press to form a 4-in. circle. Bake at 375° for 9-12 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 1 minute before removing to wire racks to cool. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Giant Cherry Oatmeal Cookies in Taste of Home April/May 2003, p31
Reviews for Giant Cherry Oatmeal Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review