Giant Calzone Recipe
"While the filling ingredients for this impressive calzone are our favorites, you could substitute some of your own. We use the extra sauce for dipping or freeze for another time." If desired, you can make two smaller calzones instead of one large one.
- 1-1/2 cups water (70° to 80°)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 can (26 ounces) garlic and herb spaghetti sauce, divided
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1. In bread machine pan, place the first six ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed). Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and cool.
- 2. Preheat oven to 350°. When bread machine cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Roll out to a 15-in. circle. Transfer to a lightly greased baking sheet.
- 3. Spread 1/2 cup spaghetti sauce over half of circle to within 1/4 in. of edges. Layer with Parmesan cheese, sausage, mushrooms, green pepper, onion and mozzarella cheese. Fold dough over filling and pinch edges to seal.
With a sharp knife, make two slashes in dough; brush with egg. Bake 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting into six wedges. Warm remaining spaghetti sauce; serve with calzone.
Freeze option: Freeze individual wedges of cooled in a resealable plastic freezer bag. To use, microwave calzone on high on a microwave-safe plate until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
1 wedge with 1/3 cup sauce equals 719 calories, 26 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 87 mg cholesterol, 2,032 mg sodium, 89 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 30 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC