Giant Calzone Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups water (70° to 80°)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Mild Ground Italian Sausage
- 1 can (26 ounces) garlic and herb spaghetti sauce, divided
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1. In bread machine pan, place the first six ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed). Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and cool.
- 2. Preheat oven to 350°. When bread machine cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Roll out to a 15-in. circle. Transfer to a lightly greased baking sheet.
- 3. Spread 1/2 cup spaghetti sauce over half of circle to within 1/4 in. of edges. Layer with Parmesan cheese, sausage, mushrooms, green pepper, onion and mozzarella cheese. Fold dough over filling and pinch edges to seal.
- 4. With a sharp knife, make two slashes in dough; brush with egg. Bake 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting into six wedges. Warm remaining spaghetti sauce; serve with calzone. Yield: 6 servings.
1 wedge with 1/3 cup sauce equals 719 calories, 26 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 87 mg cholesterol, 2,032 mg sodium, 89 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 30 g protein.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.