Guests will have almost as much fun trimming these gooey, caramel-apple characters as they’ll have biting into them! Wilma Bailey shares the sweet treats from Sedona, Arizona. TIP: Be sure to start with the apples at room temperature because the caramel tends to slip off on chilled apples.
- 4 large tart apples
- 4 Popsicle sticks
- 4 orange candy slices
- 1 piece black rope licorice
- 1 piece red rope licorice
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 3 drops green food coloring, optional
- 1 package (14 ounces) caramels
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 8 Skittles bite-size candies
- 1 tube decorating icing in color of your choice, optional
- 4 gumdrops
- Line a baking sheet with waxed paper and grease the paper; set aside. Wash and thoroughly dry apples. Insert a Popsicle stick into the top of each; set aside.
- For eyes, cut candy slices horizontally in half. For eyebrows, cut black licorice in half lengthwise; cut each half into four 2-in. pieces. For mouths, cut red licorice into sixteen 1/4-in. pieces. For hair, tint coconut with food coloring if desired.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, heat caramels and cream, uncovered, on high for 1 minute; stir. Microwave 30-45 seconds longer or until melted; stir until smooth.
- Dip one apple into caramel mixture, turning to coat. Place on prepared pan. Immediately decorate face with candy slices and licorice pieces. For eyes, press Skittles into caramel below candy slices or attach to candy slices with decorating icing if desired. For nose, press a gumdrop into caramel. Sprinkle coconut on top for hair. Repeat with remaining apples, rewarming caramel mixture if needed. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Ghoulish Caramel Apples in Simple & Delicious September/October 2007, p13
Reviews for Ghoulish Caramel Apples
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review