Ghoulish Caramel Apples
Guests will have almost as much fun trimming these gooey, caramel-apple characters as they’ll have biting into them! Wilma Bailey shares the sweet treats from Sedona, Arizona.
TIP: Be sure to start with the apples at room temperature because the caramel tends to slip off on chilled apples.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 large tart apples
- 4 Popsicle sticks
- 4 orange candy slices
- 1 piece black rope licorice
- 1 piece red rope licorice
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 3 drops green food coloring, optional
- 1 package (14 ounces) caramels
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 8 Skittles bite-size candies
- 1 tube decorating icing in color of your choice, optional
- 4 gumdrops
- Line a baking sheet with waxed paper and grease the paper; set aside.
- Wash and thoroughly dry apples. Insert a Popsicle stick into the top
- of each; set aside.
- For eyes, cut candy slices horizontally in half. For eyebrows, cut
- black licorice in half lengthwise; cut each half into four 2-in.
- pieces. For mouths, cut red licorice into sixteen 1/4-in. pieces.
- For hair, tint coconut with food coloring if desired.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, heat caramels and cream, uncovered, on high
- for 1 minute; stir. Microwave 30-45 seconds longer or until melted;
- stir until smooth.
- Dip one apple into caramel mixture, turning to coat. Place on