This spooky cake is easy to make and fun to decorate. To save time, bake and freeze the brownies weeks in advance, then thaw at room temperature overnight before decorating.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package fudge brownie mix (13x9-inch pan size)
- 1 package fudge brownie mix (8-inch square pan size)
- 3 pretzel rods
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips, melted, plus 1 tablespoon unmelted chips
- 6 ounces white candy coating, melted
- 3 lollipop sticks
- 1 can (16 ounces) chocolate frosting
- 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- Black paste food coloring
- Vanilla frosting
- 1 cup chocolate wafer crumbs
- 1/4 cup flaked coconut, toasted
- Line a 13x9-in. baking pan and an 8-in. square baking dish with foil, and grease the foil. Prepare brownie batter and bake according to package directions, using prepared pans. Cool on wire racks.
- Break pretzel rods into various sizes; dip into melted chocolate. Arrange into a tree shape on a waxed paper-lined baking sheet.
- Place melted white candy coating in a heavy-duty resealable plastic bag; cut a small hole in a corner of bag. Outline three small ghosts on waxed paper. Fill in ghost outlines, adding a lollipop stick to each for support. Place unmelted chocolate chips on ghosts for eyes. Let dry completely.
- Using foil, lift brownies out of pans. Discard foil; place 8-in. square brownie on a large serving plate for graveyard. Spread chocolate frosting over top and sides.
- Cut remaining brownie into 3-in.x1-1/2-in. tombstone shapes. Combine confectioners' sugar and cocoa; sprinkle over tombstones. With black food coloring, tint vanilla frosting gray; decorate tombstones.
- Using toothpicks, insert three tombstones into graveyard. Insert tree into graveyard (support as needed with brownie scraps). Insert ghosts into graveyard; sprinkle with wafer crumbs for dirt and coconut for grass. Place remaining tombstones on a serving platter. Yield: 1 graveyard cake (9 servings) and 20 tombstones.
Originally published as Ghosts in the Graveyard Cake in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2008, p243
Reviews for Ghosts in the Graveyard Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review