- 9 medium ripe Bosc pears
- 9 Popsicle sticks
- 2 packages (14 ounces each) caramels
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 pounds white candy coating disks
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons shortening, divided
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup orange candy coating disks
- Line a baking sheet with waxed paper and grease the paper; set aside. Wash and thoroughly dry pears; insert a Popsicle stick into the top of each.
- In a microwave, melt caramels and water; stir until smooth. Dip each pear into caramel mixture; turn to coat. Place on prepared pan; let stand until set.
- Melt white candy coating and 2 tablespoons shortening at 70% power for 1 minute; stir. Microwave at additional 10- to 20-second intervals, stirring until smooth. Dip pears into coating; allow excess to drip off. Return to pan; let stand until set.
- In the same microwave, melt chocolate chips and 1 teaspoon shortening; stir until smooth. Repeat with orange candy coating and 1 teaspoon shortening. Decorate ghost faces; let stand until set. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Ghastly Pear Ghosts in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2007, p244
Reviews for Ghastly Pear Ghosts
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 26, 2013
"If you like pears, this is for you."
Reviewed Oct. 8, 2012
"I'm 57 and I just love this! Better than apples any day of the week."
Reviewed Oct. 13, 2010
"nice for a kid"